Thursday 1 October 2009

My General Intrests

One of the things I love to do the most is read. Many people say dancing is an escape for them but to me it is my work, reading is my escape. I love nothing better than settling down with a good book, I read on the tube, at home, sometimes even walking down the street! I really do believe you can learn so much about the world and different ways of life from every single book you read. My favourite author is Jodi Picoult, and once I start one of her books I cannot put it down, they are real page turners! I love the way she always takes a moral issue and puts it against a legal one. One particular book of hers really struck a chord with me, “Nineteen Minutes” It is about a young lad who ends up shooting lots of people in his school, but it tells the story from his point of view and as strange as it sounds I ended up feeling so sorry for the boy as I read what he had been through and the way he was treated at school that led to his outburst. Jodi always provides such an excellent read, just talking about her books now gets me excited, she is fantastic!
I also am interested in books about other religions as religion is something I find fascinating. A book titled "A Thousand Splendid Suns” is breathtaking, it’s about two women living in Afghanistan when the Taliban took over and really gives you an insight into the life for Muslim women over there. Another great read is “Mao’s Last dancer” this book is so informative and is just so compelling, telling you all about the communist life in China. Reading is something I have always loved and wish I got more time to do.
Another big interest of mine which I have already touched on is religion. I am not religious at all myself but have always been fascinated by different cultures and religions. As a child I used to love my Dad taking me down the Folsehill Road in Coventry, which is a predominantly Asian area, I remember being so excited looking in all the shop windows at the beautiful sari’s and one day I went into a shop to get some shoes and I can still to this day remember how elated I was when the lady presented me with the most beautiful sparkly shoes I had ever seen. My mum always used to buy me sari material with paisley patterns on for me to put up in my room, and different coloured sparkly bangles. I have also always been interested in the Chinese culture, I love going along to the Chinese New Year celebrations in London and this year I will be able to experience them first hand as I will be in Taiwan for six months. I have many friends of all different religions and cultures’s and love nothing more than discussing it with them and finding out as much as I can about the traditions and celebrations they have. I often go onto websites and read up about different religions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi rebecca!
    thank you fo rthe comment on my blog, coincidence that you commented on mine because your blog is the only one i have read! i liked it - your blog on religion was interesting and im very jealous of your job in taiwan!
    i went to see my tutor today because i missed the induction days and felt lost! however know im all clued up (i hope!).
    the workload is more than i thought it would be, i hoping its manageable but im so busy! we just need to have emailled the work to our tutor by week 4, it doesnt need to be polished and then week 6 we hand in hard copies.
    Are you coming to the tuition day on tuesday?
    alys x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i understand how your feeling! by hard copies i think they mean email each piece of work over individually (as in word document not on your blog), so that should be easier!
    just keep commenting on my blog and i will yours because i yesterday i was told it was important to do - so comment away!
    ill let you know what is said on tuesday if you want?
    no i dont know her! i only graduated in july so she might have been a few years above me.
    alys x

    ReplyDelete